Also posted on Huge Tiny Mistake
Since the Phillies just signed former Dodger Jayson Werth to a one year major league deal, let's just check out the 2006 (and career) OPS of each outfielder now under contract by the Phils:
1. Pat Burrell - .890 (.842)
2. Shane Victorino .760 (.714 majors, .760 minors)
3. Aaron Rowand - .745 (.780)
4. Jayson Werth - .712 (.753)
5. Chris Roberson - .458 (.750 minors career)
6. Michael Bourn .314 (.772 minors career)
Frankly, this is pathetic. We went from having 3 guys with above-average leauge and position OPS (Burrell, Abreu, Dellucci), to having one in the matter of 6 months. We're also relying on a lot of progression that just isn't there for guys like Chris Roberson, Shane Victorino, and Michael Bourn. I was even a fan of Michael Bourn (check the archives of this site), but his hitting just hasn't merited said fandom. The only guy that's been any good for more than one season in this group has been Pat Burrell, and yet he's the guy that most people love to hate.
Prepare for a great defensive outfield, folks. Too bad it'll come at the expense of the offense.