Chase Utley, new Phillies leader for most games played at second. (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)
Three of these should happen tonight:
- Chase Utley passes Tony Taylor for most games by a Phillies second baseman.
- Cole Hamels moves into 7th place on the Philllies strikeout list (and 3rd among lefthanders).
- Charlie Manuel manages his 1,500th game.
These are milestones he will probably reach this year barring injury. He needs...
- 60 At Bats (524 total) to tie Larry Bowa for 3rd at 6,815
- 23 games (136) to tie Del Ennis for 5th at 1,630
- 34 singles (123) to tie Mike Schmidt for 5th at 1,219
- 9 Ks (57) to tie Johnny Callision for 7th (854)
- 12 walks (62) to tie Greg Luzinski for 10th (572)
- 1 triple (2nd of the year) to become the 4th Phillie to reach 100, and the first Phillie to do so since Sherry Magee in 1911.
See here for a more comprehensive list of Rollins' march up the charts.
- On Wednesday, Utley tied Tony Taylor for most games at second base for the Phillies, at 1,003. Tonight he'll take over sole possession of #1.
- Utley will probably not reach any other milestones this season, so I will take this chance to mention again that he broke the team career HBP record back in early 2009. The top 4 in Phillies history:
1) Utley 133, 2) Lieberthal 88, 3) Delahanty 80, 4) Schmidt 79
- Needs 9 more games (125 for the year) to play in 1,000.
- Needs 2 HRs (18 for the year) to reach 250 in his career.
He's also climbing MLB's All-Time lists for ages 30-39:
- With 920 RBIs in his 30s, he needs 9 more (71 for the year) to tie Mike Schmidt for 9th all-time on the 30-39 list with 929. Getting there, he will pass Stan Musial (926), and Gary Sheffield and Fred McGriff (927).
- With 336 doubles in his 30s, he needs 10 more (33 for the year) to tie Sam Rice for 6th all-time on the 30-39 list with 344. On the way he would pass Charlie Gehringer (337), Honus Wagner and Hal McRae (340), and Edgar Martinez and Paul Molitor (344).
- Needs 5 Ks (155 total) to tie Curt Simmons for 7th on the Phillies list at 1,052.
- That will also put him in 3rd among lefties, behind Steve Carlton (3,031) and Chris Short (1,585).
- He needs 7 more relief appearances (49 total) to tie Tug McGraw's team record of 460.
This is unlikely to happen unless Madson has another wife somewhere who is about to have a baby, but Lidge needs:
- 2 saves (3 total) to tie Mitch Williams for 3rd on the Phils all-time list with 102
- 3 saves to tie Steve Bedrosian for 2nd with 103
- Tonight's game will be the 1,500th managed by Manuel, including his time in Cleveland. There are 11 current managers with more games managed, but none of those has a higher winning percentage. The all-time list is here, active managers in bold.
Next for Charlie:
- Game #132 (August 28th, barring rainouts) will tie him with Danny Ozark for 3rd on the Phillies list (1,104).
- Win #92 will tie him with Harry Wright for 2nd on the Phillies (636).
- Win #102 will tie him with Gene Mauch for the team career record of 646.