In a season that seemed like we were constantly waiting for someone to step up and be the hero, for two weeks, there was a glimmer of hope that maybe it would be Hector Luna. But the problem with Hector Luna is, well, that he's Hector Luna.
For two weeks, though, he wasn't. On May 16, Luna made his first plate appearance with the Phillies. The Phillies were 18-19 but had won three in a row and were trying to salvage the first two months of the season. Luna entered the game in the ninth inning as a pinch hitter with the Phillies up 5-2. The bases were loaded, and the Phillies had already scored 2 runs that inning. On the second pitch he saw, Luna hit a grand slam. Welcome to the 2012 Phillies Hector Luna!
Over the next two weeks, Luna seemed like he might become a valuable piece of the team. In 25 plate appearances, he hit .375/.400/.583. He had 9 RBI while starting 5 games and pinch hitting in 3.
But then the small sample size became larger and Hector Luna became Hector Luna, the barely-replacement-level career 26th man. Over the next 19 games he played in, Luna hit a paltry .132/.195/.211. He had 1 more RBI, on his second home run of the season. His time on the field was as close to worthless as it could be.
On August 30, Luna elected free agency after the Phillies removed him from the 40 man roster. The Pirates signed him, but he never appeared in another major league game in 2012. He conducted his exit interview with Ruben Amaro Jr. by phone from the Dominican Republic, where he's playing winter ball.
1. How did you let your teammates down this season?
2. Phillies, we're talking about the Phillies here. How did you let your manager and GM down this season?
I didn't hit like Babe Ruth and field like Ozzie Smith. Because, you know, that's not what I do.
3. Well, what do you do? Can you tell the fans that, at the very least?
I fill in for the worst player on teams. Any GM who expects me to do more than that is the real person who let the fans down.
4. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the worst, how do you rate on the "it's my fault we're in this freaking mess and missed the playoffs scale"?
0. It's all on you Ruben.
5. Who the hell are you talking to me like that? Don't you realize how many players, including yourself, caused this fiasco of a season?
One question: who signed them Ruben? Who signed them?