Dan Szymborski's full 2012 ZiPS projections came out just last week. Let's have a look at what the vaunted projection system sees in store for the 2012 edition of the Fightins after the jump.
Note that the ZiPS system does not mean to indicate every player projected will accumulate these stats. It is merely a projection of production given Major League playing time (based off past playing time without respect to level). Also note that playing time for injured players is not revised downward after the system spits out the numbers.
I pared the projections down to those players likely to actually play with the big club this year. Without further ado, here we go:
I bolded team-leading totals, and highlighted a few I found interesting. Images are clickable if they're too small on your screen.
- Jim Thome is still a beast: projected to lead the team in OPS and wOBA
- Chase Utley is projected to bounce back some, to a .360 wOBA
- Note the Domonic Brown projections.
- Note the Relief Mob projections. Compare them to projections of certain players who will start the year in the bullpen.
- Compare Schneider's projections to Kratz's projections. Weep a little bit.
- Look at Mini-Mart's line. Weep some more.
- Hope Placido Polanco and John Mayberry (especially) outhit their projections.
- Then take a big pile of salt with your next meal, because these are just computer numbers, from a computer.