Don't make me put this bat where you think I'm gonna put it Phrozen. Trade me. Now. - Justin Sullivan
The CBS draft went down last night. Results and discussion to follow.
The CBS draft went down last night at 7:00 and aside from a few minor hiccups with auto drafting a good time was had by all. My Little Conies took Miguel Cabrera with the first overall pick and closer without a job Jose Valverde was the last player taken. in between, 16 teams chose 398 other players and left a few dandies dangling on the waiver wire. (yeah, like I'm gonna tell you guys who they are!)
The draft ended at 10:30. Trader Joe's updated their trade block at 10:33.
Post your rosters and thoughts on your draft (strategy, mistakes, best move, etc...) below and feel free to chime in with anything else.
A few highlights:
1. Liz Roscher DID NOT DRAFT HEATH BELL. This assures her at least a second to last place finish
2. 6 pitchers went in the first round, including both Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels.
3. The Phortress of Phortitude followed his drafting patterns of years past by stocking up on SP in the first 4 rounds. His projected FIP is 3.282 good for second place in preseason team FIP projections. The team with the lowest FIP projections? that would be...
4. TEAM Catz, who managed to wait until the 3rd round to snag a SP. He also does not have an everyday 2B... Will teams be willing to deal with the Trade guru, or will he have to figure out a different strategy this year?
5. In a huge scheduling and email snafu perennial contender and fantasy player extraordinaire RPT did not know about the draft and did not join in until about the 8th round or so. Will his auto draft philosophy work out?
6. For the second year in a row Trev"please don't let Tulo fall to me"223 drafted Troy Tulowitski in the first round. Will this finally be the year that Tulo delivers for team Trev?He put together a pretty incredible team, but Tulo is the Glue to it all.
7. Yahoo defector and bloglord WetLuzinski passed on Robbie Cano, Buster Posey, Matt Kemp, and Albert Pujols at number 7 and reached for Stephen Strasburg. Move of the draft or mistake of the year?
8. Every Phillies projected starter save one was drafted.
And in possibly the most villainous, low down, dirty, sneaky, unsportsmanlike, friendship ending move in the history of TGP fantasy baseball, Phrozen shocked the world by snagging last years league MVP and the heart and soul of team Catz, FHOFRI in the 19th round.
Ibanez was reached at his home in Seattle and had this to say:
It's a rough day for me. I'm not gonna lie. I'm pissed. I'm angry, I didn't ask for this but when life gives you lemons, you make a mojito, right? I have faith in Catz' trade abilities and am certain I'll be home before you know it. Probably on the same flight with Clayton Kershaw. Until then I'll do my job, and try and lead these guys by example.
Chime in below with your rosters guys, and lets have some fun this year.
and just for fun, first and last rounds pick by pick, per team:
|1||My Little Conies||Cabrera, Miguel 3B DET|
|2||The Wesley Crushers||*Braun, Ryan LF MIL||1 min 31 sec|
|3||IndieHipster Ironies||Trout, Mike CF LAA||1 min 4 sec|
|4||Phortress of Phortitude||Kershaw, Clayton SP LAD||10 sec|
|5||Cormican||Verlander, Justin SP DET||18 sec|
|6||Picture me Rollins||Votto, Joey 1B CIN||11 sec|
|7||Poetic Justice Leaguers||Strasburg, Stephen SP WAS||35 sec|
|8||phillies0100||Cano, Robinson 2B NYY||18 sec|
|9||Mattwinks||Posey, Buster C SF||1 min 7 sec|
|10||TW Aardvarks||Lee, Cliff SP PHI||1 min 8 sec|
|11||Revere Cowgirl||Price, David SP TB||7 sec|
|12||Sor'lyehent Greenies||*Kemp, Matt CF LAD||1 min 32 sec|
|13||Trev223||*Tulowitzki, Troy SS COL||1 min 30 sec|
|14||Exploding Knees||Stanton, Giancarlo RF MIA||14 sec|
|15||88UCantWalkWith4Balls88||Hamels, Cole SP PHI||26 sec|
|16||The Trader JoeTraveling All Stars and Motor Kings||Pujols, Albert 1B LAA||43 sec|
|My Little Conies||Nakajima, Hiroyuki SS OAK||3 sec (8 min 58 sec)|
|2||The Wesley Crushers||Pena, Carlos 1B HOU||36 sec (11 min 20 sec)|
|3||IndieHipster Ironies||Barney, Darwin 2B CHC||6 sec (25 min 0 sec)|
|4||Phortress of Phortitude||Cozart, Zack SS CIN||11 sec (8 min 11 sec)|
|5||Cormican||O'Flaherty, Eric RP ATL||38 sec (11 min 38 sec)|
|6||Picture me Rollins||Zunino, Mike C SEA||4 sec (18 min 15 sec)|
|7||Poetic Justice Leaguers||Maholm, Paul SP ATL||10 sec (10 min 33 sec)|
|8||phillies0100||Crow, Aaron RP KC||10 sec (6 min 2 sec)|
|9||Mattwinks||*Arencibia, J.P. C TOR||0 sec (9 min 4 sec)|
|10||TW Aardvarks||Donaldson, Josh 3B OAK||4 sec (24 min 31 sec)|
|11||Revere Cowgirl||Davis, Rajai CF TOR||1 sec (8 min 8 sec)|
|12||Sor'lyehent Greenies||Dotel, Octavio RP DET||17 sec (14 min 44 sec)|
|13||Trev223||Soria, Joakim RP TEX||1 min 8 sec (17 min 34 sec)|
|14||Exploding Knees||Collins, Tim RP KC||11 sec (15 min 11 sec)|
|15||88UCantWalkWith4Balls88||*Coke, Phil RP DET||0 sec (7 min 59 sec)|
|16||The Trader JoeTraveling All Stars and Motor Kings||Valverde, Jose RP DET||3 min 20 sec (13 min 47 sec)|