Last week, members of the Good Phight staff, consisting of myself as GM, Liz as team owner, Trev, Cormican, Jaypoozle (along with prospect guru and Phillies scribe and frequent guest contributor Mattwinks) took part in a Simulated winter meetings role playing scenario along with every other site in the SBNation network.
The goal was simple. See if you can put together a better roster for 2014 and beyond than your real team. The simulation was headed up by the good folks at www.royalsreview.com and one of their writers, RoyalsRetro acted as the Agent for every free agent.
We took this pretty seriously, as the 6 of us fielded close to 1300 emails in total, and really tried to do our best to have a plan for bettering the organization both in the long run and immediately.
Our goals were simple.
- Keep the payroll under the luxury tax limits unless we had no choice
- Fill the holes at the major league level (specifically one OF, two SP, and Catcher)
- Try and reassemble a more cost effective bullpen
- Do whatever it takes to trade Jonathan Papelbon.
- Accomplish all of this without sacrificing the future, meaning unless absolutely necessary, try not to trade Brown, Biddle, Franco and a few other folks that we felt people would target as buy lows.
REALISTIC TRADE: Phillies trade Jonathan Papelbon and 6mm to the Yankees for Ichiro Suzuki