- Michael Young isn't going to be that bad. He's not going to make people forget Evan Longoria, of course, but he should be our best hot corner guy in some time. Remember who we've run out there lately. Kevin Frandsen was adequate, but his .338/.383/.451 line is the poster child for the Unsustainability Bus. Placido Polanco had his ups and downs, and his 2010 campaign was pretty decent; but his performance in 2011 and especially 2012 was not exactly awe-inspiring. Anybody remember who we carried before 2010? That's not an especially high bar; if he measures up to any of his projections, he'll be there.
- Roy Halladay is NOT broken. And will be a Phillies in 2014.
- Chase Utley is going to rebound in a big way. Look for a line similar to 2010; .275/.390/.500 with 20+ HRs and 5.5 WAR. I expect him to sign an two year extension late in the season.
- Ditto for Ryan Howard. Dude's been playing on one leg for a year and a half. .260/.360/.550 with 35 HRs. His defense is going to continue to be an issue, but he's hardly Dick Stuart. Not going to win any awards except possibly Comeback Player of the Year, but he's definitely not going to be a negative value player.
- Domonic Brown has arrived. Or is going to arrive. Whichever you prefer. The hand soap afficianado will be, alongside Utley and Howard, one of the mainstays of the Phillies offense, and his 2010 campaign provides a good blueprint: .300/.375/.500 with 25 HRs and 15 SBs. His defense will continue to improve with experience, and with his cannon arm, should be a net positive.
- Ben Revere: 60+ SB, 0 HR
- Jimmy Rollins will continue to pair his average offense with above average defense. .250/.325/.425 with 15 HRs and 25 SBs.
- Freddy Galvis, in his new role as
Zorilla 2.0Galvilla turns into a tremendously valuable asset, providing above average defense to excellent at thirteen positions, and does not embarrass himself with the bat.
- Once Delmon Young starts getting playing time, the Phillies theme song will change slightly. Everyone Advance Now. (h/t to Joecatz)
- If the Phillies are way out of contention at the deadline, I expect to see Carlos Ruiz traded to a contender. If the Phillies are close to being in contention, I expect a trade with the Dodgers for one of their seven quality outfielders. Andre Ethier, perhaps.
- Chad Durbin will be the 2013 Chad Qualls. Chad Qualls will continue to be Chad Qualls. Jim Thome will be the 2013 Raul Ibanez. Raul Ibanez will also be the 2013 Raul Ibanez.
- AL MVP: Mike Trout
- AL Cy Young: Justin Verlander
- NL MVP: Andrew McCutchen
- NL Cy Young: Cole Hamels
So, yeah. Remember the salt.