The new Collective Bargaining Agreement has been signed, all the kids have been tucked into bed, and now one of the craziest weeks on the baseball calendar can begin.
The Winter Meetings.
And while it appears as though the Phils could be done the majority of their work for 2017, there is a growing sense that perhaps general manager Matt Klentak could get more involved, in much the same way he did when he unexpectedly dealt Ken Giles at last year's Winter Meetings.
Phillies beat writer Kevin Cooney of Calkins Media joins the show to preview the Winter Meetings, taking place in Washington, DC.
Host John Stolnis discussed that and other issues in Episode 79 of the podcast, including...
- Andrew McCutchen is on the market... could the Phillies be buyers?
- What would it take for the Phils to land McCutchen?
- Cooney says he'd give up Jake Thompson and Odubel Herrera for the former MVP.
- Do you believe McCutchen isn't done?
- What about other potential fits... do any of the available New York Mets outfielders make sense for the Phils?
- Should the Phillies re-sign A.J. Ellis?
- How busy will Klentak be in the nation's capital next week?
- Phils hired former Twins GM Terry Ryan... what's he going to do?
NEW COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREED TO
- All Star Game no longer "counts"
- Say goodbye to the 15-day DL
- NO International Draft
- Hard international draft cap... very restrictive
- Major changes to how international players are signed
- Major changes to the qualifying offer system
- No more first round pick, but other restrictions remain
- No changes to the 25-man or September 40-man roster
- Luxury tax changes hurt big-market teams
- Scheduling changes and perks make life better for the players
- Smokeless tobacco BANNED in MLB parks
- No changes to pace of play, speeding up games... why?
PHILLIES BROADCAST NEWS
- John Kruk reportedly hired to replace Matt Stairs!
- Kruk reportedly will broadcast 60-65 games
- That means more Ben Davis, guys!
- Scott Franzke signs extension with the Phillies
- Why I'm not wild about Larry Andersen on the radio
- Phils re-sign with 94 WIP as broadcast partner
- When I worked at WIP, Phils were banned as a topic of discussion!
PHILLIES WINTER BALL REPORT
- Dylan Cozens & Rhys Hoskins update (hint: neither guy is doing great)
- Carlos Tocci is hitting LOTS of singles... and not much else
- Alec Asher has a good ERA... but strikeouts are still missing
- Alberto Tirado looking very Alberto Tirado-y
- Brock Stassi Ozzie Guillen's favorite player ever
STAT OF THE WEEK
- PLEASE CLICK HERE for the official Felske Files iTunes feed. Also please rate the show (5 stars, obviously!) and leave a review. Not only do we love to hear your feedback, but this also helps other Phillies fans find the show.
- Are you interested in advertising with The Felske Files? Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In addition to my work here at The Good Phight, check out my work at numberFire.com.
- Follow this podcast on Twitter: @FelskeFiles.
- Follow the Felske Files on SoundCloud.
- Rate The Felske Files on Stitcher.