Let's cut to the chase and not bury the lede - based on a study of every team's broadcasters, Major League Baseball has a huge problem with diversity in the local broadcast booth. How huge? To be exact - there are 164 announcers for the 30 MLB teams' English-speaking broadcasts. Of those 164, here's the breakdown:
- 148 are white men (90.2%).
- 9 are African-American men (5.5%).
- 5 are Latino men (3.0%).
- 1 is an Asian man (0.6%).
- 1 is a white woman (0.6%).
- NL - 77 white men, 2 black men, 1 Latino man, 1 Asian man, 0 women.
- AL - 71 white men, 7 black men, 4 Latino men, 0 Asian men, 1 white woman.