I had said I wanted to do something special for the 100th episode of the podcast, and thanks to the Phillies communications staff, something special is what you are going to get.
Joining me on the podcast this week is Phils general manager Matt Klentak, who is down in Clearwater with the team, observing the Major Leaguers as well as the minor league prospects still there.
Among the items discussed...
- How important are wins and losses for the Phillies in 2017?
- How does he feel about the progress of some of the young players, specifically Nick Williams, J.P. Crawford, Rhys Hoskins, and Scott Kingery?
- Would it be a disappointment if Crawford is not on the big league club at some point this year?
- The exciting free agent class of 2018 and whether or not the Phillies are apprehensive about doing contracts of ten years for hundreds of millions of dollars.
- How the Phils are using analytics to help them evaluate both their own players, and other teams’ guys.
Also, national baseball writer Tyler Kepner of the New York Times wrote a great piece about the transition Phillies hitting coach Matt Stairs has undergone over the last year, and the big task ahead of him in fixing up one of the worst offenses in baseball last year.
Speaking of the 2018 free agent class, who would you rather have - Bryce Harper or Manny Machado? Are either worth a 10-year, $400 million contract?
And why are we blowing past next year’s free agent market? There are some very useful engines in that group.
Also, some news and notes from Clearwater, including a terrific spring performance from Aaron Altherr, an encouraging start from Jake Thompson, and how the 40-man roster squeeze really could leave Brock Stassi on the outside looking in.
- PLEASE CLICK HERE for the official Felske Files iTunes feed. Also please rate the show (5 stars, obviously!) and leave a review. Not only do we love to hear your feedback, but this also helps other Phillies fans find the show.
- Are you interested in advertising with The Felske Files? Contact me at email@example.com.
- In addition to my work here at The Good Phight, check out my work at numberFire.com.
- Follow this podcast on Twitter: @FelskeFiles.
- Follow the Felske Files on SoundCloud.
- Rate The Felske Files on Stitcher.