J.P. Crawford is really struggling, guys.
Of course, you knew this already. The team’s top overall prospect, still just 22 years old, is having a rough go of it at Lehigh Valley this year. In 15 games through Sunday, he was hitting .096 with one extra-base hit, eight walks and 17 strikeouts.
Since moving to AAA last year, he’s hitting .224/.314/.294.
None of that is good. So given his age and his struggles, should the Phillies consider sending him down to AA Reading? And if so, when?
On Episode 109 of “The Felske Files,” hosts John Stolnis and Justin Klugh argue it’s too soon to jump off the Crawford bandwagon, and that any discussion on moving him down a level is premature.
But it’s not out of the realm of possibility it could happen in another few weeks if the struggles don’t get better.
Among the other topics on this episode:
- Aaron Nola hits the DL... how worried should we be?
- Which of the young starters at AAA will take his place?
- Nick Pivetta seems like the most likely alternative to get called up.
- Having so much AAA depth is a great thing. No more Severino Gonzalez and Dave Buchanan.
- Recapping the Phillies’ big weekend over the Atlanta Braves.
- Is now the right time to discuss extending the contract of Jeremy Hellickson?
- Aaron Altherr is on fire right now. What happens to his playing time when Howie Kendrick returns from the DL?
- Jake Thompson has recovered tremendously since his first two starts.
- An update on other top prospects.
- Some nastiness in Baltimore between the Orioles and the Red Sox.
- Is it ever to OK to throw a baseball at an opposing hitter?
- What should baseball do with their retaliation rules?
- Was the situation in Baltimore handled correctly?
- The Phillies have more switch hitters on the 25-man roster than you can shake a stick at. Can you name them all?
- PLEASE CLICK HERE for the official Felske Files iTunes feed. Also please rate the show (5 stars, obviously!) and leave a review. Not only do we love to hear your feedback, but this also helps other Phillies fans find the show.
- Are you interested in advertising with The Felske Files? Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In addition to my work here at The Good Phight, check out my work at numberFire.com.
- Follow this podcast on Twitter: @FelskeFiles.
- Follow the Felske Files on SoundCloud.
- Check out the brand new Felske Files Facebook page, and please LIKE the page!!!
- Rate The Felske Files on Stitcher.