HAPPY OPENING DAY!!!
This is the day when the baseball is made, let us rejoice and be glad in it— The Good Phight (@TheGoodPhight) April 3, 2017
Let that sink in, because this is when it starts. The Phillies are closer to fielding a competent lineup than anytime in the last four years. The big prospects are closer to the big leagues than ever before. The team, they can feel it. They can taste it. They know they’re getting there. And so do we.
Matt Stairs? Still great.
I can’t get enough of stories about new Phillies hitting coach Matt Stairs. Stephen Gross of the Morning Call profiled Stairs again, and gave us some background on how he got his great new job, what he’s been doing with the Phillies, and his hitting philosophy. I want stories like this all year, because Matt Stairs is great. I already miss him in the booth so much.
Pete Mackanin is also great!
Matt Breen continues his run of awesome writing with this piece about our fearless leader Pete Mackanin and his journey in baseball. This is his 49th year in the game, and he’s not slowing down anytime soon. I have always loved Mack, and I think he’s been a great manager. I mean, a cardboard standee of the Phanatic would have been a better manager than Ryne Sandberg, but Mack has been such a big improvement over that stale, moldy glass of water. He’s less openly gregarious than Charlie Manuel, but he knows how to talk to the young guys. Since that’s all the team is anymore, he’s perfect.
J.P. Crawford can’t wait to get to the majors
More from Matt Breen, this time about J.P. Crawford, everyone’s most anticipated prospect. I’m not even going to fluff this one for you. Just read it and get excited.
Ten Bold Predictions about the Phillies 2017 season
John Stolnis released his HOT TAKES about the Phillies 2017 season, ten bold predictions that you are sure to agree with (or not). Go, read, and give YOUR bold predictions for the Phillies season in the comments.
Around the Phight
Okay, cats and kittens. Get ready, because we have some excellent stuff to share with you today.
- Phrozen released 2016’s Over/Under/Never results, and he also released 2017’s Over/Under/Never predictions!
- We’ve got an infield preview for you!
- We have an outfield preview for you!
- We have a rotation preview for you!
- Felske Files 103 is out! Listen, rate, review, and subscribe, please!
- Cormican released one of his 2017 draft previews, so start getting familiar with these young’uns, some of whom could be Phillies in the near future.
- The Giants released Jimmy Rollins on Friday, and David S. Cohen’s piece on the Phillies bringing him back is still completely relevant. We miss you, Jimmy. Come home.
- I’ll let Paul Boyé’s brilliant words about the Phillies’ underdog season convince you to read his post: “Stuffed with cast-offs, longshots and redemption seekers, the 2017 Phillies are an underdog story unto themselves, a team with enough story and substance to smile about.”
Tweet(s) of the day
Let’s start with some happy, nearly-related news today.
Philly native & former Temple coach Dawn Staley:— Jeff Skversky 6abc (@JeffSkversky) April 3, 2017
1st women’s Final Four Most Outstanding Player to Win National Title as a Head Coach pic.twitter.com/1WtoDUU6dJ
Eff yeah Dawn Staley. And her glasses are awesome.
This is depressing— John Clark CSN (@JClarkCSN) April 3, 2017
⚾️Phillies 5 years no playoffs
Sixers 5 years no playoffs
Eagles no playoffs 5/6 yrs
Flyers no playoffs 3/5 yrs pic.twitter.com/7SSFcb1GUz
Okay, so. Yeah. This is... yeah. No one can deny it’s been a really tough time for Philadelphia sports fans. But friends, we’re on the upswing.
Look at this! Look at our future team! We’ve been waiting so long and we can finally see that light at the end of the tunnel!
Get excited, everyone. Because the future of the Phillies starts now.