It would be unfair to say the 2017 Phillies season has gotten off to a disastrous start. Anyone who is “panicking” about a team that most didn’t think would finish with a winning record and is still in the midst of a rebuild shouldn’t be overly worried about a 1-2 start to the season.
Yeah, the Cincinnati Reds aren’t good. Yeah, the Phillies struck out a bunch of times (32 times in 3 games). Yeah, they blew a 4-1 lead in the series finale and watched as Brandon Finnegan retired 19 Phils in a row in the second game of the series.
Yeah, Clay Buchholz had a bad start, coming off a bad spring. Yeah, the offense only scored one run after the 3rd inning all series (off the bat of the Opener’s starting pitcher, Jeremy Hellickson, an RBI triple).
There were good things, too. Daniel Nava hit two dingers in his first two plate appearances with the Phillies. Cesar Hernandez led off the season with a bomb, Freddy Galvis hit one too, and the team had a lot of runners in scoring position throughout the series.
Jerad Eickhoff pitched really well and Hellickson was fine. The bullpen (at least those not named Adam Morgan) were excellent.
On Episode 104 of The Felske Files, SportsRadio 94 WIP’s evening host and Phillies pre and post-game host Jon Marks joins me to talk about the first three games of the season and what he expects from the team in 2017.
Also, Graham Womack of The Sporting News stopped by to talk about his piece, which talks about the difficulty facing former Phillie great Dick Allen as he tries to make it into the Hall of Fame sooner rather than later.
- PLEASE CLICK HERE for the official Felske Files iTunes feed. Also please rate the show (5 stars, obviously!) and leave a review. Not only do we love to hear your feedback, but this also helps other Phillies fans find the show.
- Are you interested in advertising with The Felske Files? Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In addition to my work here at The Good Phight, check out my work at numberFire.com.
- Follow this podcast on Twitter: @FelskeFiles.
- Follow the Felske Files on SoundCloud.
- Rate The Felske Files on Stitcher.