The Phillies bullpen is an unmitigated tire fire right now.
On Saturday night, newly-minted closer Hector Neris blew a save in the most spectacular fashion one can imagine, giving up three straight home runs to start the 9th inning in the Phils’ eventual 6-5 loss to the Dodgers.
Then Jeanmar Gomez entered the 6th inning of yesterday’s 5-3 loss with the team trailing by just a run, 2-1. Not long after entering, he served up a three-run homer to Justin Turner that sent the Phillies to their third straight defeat.
Gomez’ ERA is now 9.64. The bullpen is giving up 2.49 HR/9, worst in baseball. The bullpen ERA of 4.84 is 20th in the league, and relievers have given up an insane 20 gopher balls so far this year. The next closest team is the Detroit Tigers, with 17.
What is Pete Mackanin to do? Is there a reliable closer on this team? If so, who is it? And has Mackanin had too short a leash with Joaquin Benoit and Neris? Has he mishandled his bullpen?
Hosts John Stolnis and Justin Klugh discuss all of that and more on Episode 111 of The Felske Files.
Also discussed on this episode:
- The New York Mets were blown out 23-6 and lost Noah Syndergaard to a potential injury.
- Which was worse, the Phils loss on Saturday night or the one suffered by the Mets on Sunday?
- What the heck has happened to New York?
- The Phillies are in the midst of a brutal schedule.
- Chicago Cubs series preview - is it still too early to start hating the Cubs?
- Aaron Nola suffers a setback in his back injury.
- Zach Eflin and Nick Pivetta provide interesting and fun alternatives to the starters who have been injured.
- Our grades for the Phillies’ 11-12 April.
- Our grades for Pete Mackanin after the first month of 2017.
- PLEASE CLICK HERE for the official Felske Files iTunes feed. Also please rate the show (5 stars, obviously!) and leave a review. Not only do we love to hear your feedback, but this also helps other Phillies fans find the show.
- Are you interested in advertising with The Felske Files? Contact me at email@example.com.
- In addition to my work here at The Good Phight, check out my work at numberFire.com.
- Follow this podcast on Twitter: @FelskeFiles.
- Follow the Felske Files on SoundCloud.
- Check out the brand new Felske Files Facebook page, and please LIKE the page!!!
- Rate The Felske Files on Stitcher.