Episode 130 of The Felske Files is brought to you by Anthony Arot and The Nash Wealth Management Group! Check them out here!
Phillies general manager Matt Klentak has his first huge decision to make over the next month.
The first base situation in Philadelphia has come to a critical point. In AAA, they have Rhys Hoskins (have you purchased the new Rhys Hoskins T-shirt yet from The Felske Files store yet?) who is batting .292/.387/.581 with 20 HRs and 66 RBIs this season and is clearly ready for a promotion to the big leagues.
On the other hand, they have Tommy Joseph in the big leagues, who has proven himself to be a decent, if unspectacular, offensive first baseman in the Majors. He’s hitting .246/.302/.449 with 14 HRs and 42 RBIs this year. But it’s been a struggle as of late.
Tommy Joseph has to get better if they're going to move him.— John Stolnis (@FelskeFiles) July 6, 2017
Hoskins should be playing over Joseph right now. That much seems obvious. But what do you do with Joseph?
Obviously, the best option is to trade him, but there are other, better first basemen on the market for the few teams that need a first baseman to go out and get. Toronto could make the AL starter in the All-Star Game, Justin Smoak, available. Oakland will deal Yonder Alonso, and the Mets could part with Lucas Duda. Joseph is not as good as any of those players, and the only teams that might need a 1B/DH type are the Yankees, Indians and perhaps the Mariners.
Joining me on this week’s podcast to discuss the Tommy Joseph trade market and the urgency with which the Phillies need to make a decision with first base is Phillies beat writer Kevin Cooney, as well as Fanrag Sports’ Jesse Spector.
Among the other items discussed this week...
- Vince Velasquez seems to think his future may not be in the starting rotation
- After recent comments by Velasquez, is his heart in starting?
- Which other Phillies could be on the move this month?
- Is it possible the Phils could look to “buy” some assets at this deadline?
- The Pittsburgh duo of Andrew McCutchen and Gerrit Cole could be guys on the Phillies’ radar.
- J.P. Crawford is playing better, but will he sustain it?
- If he does, when do the Phillies move Freddy Galvis?
- Scott Kingery working out at 3B... what does this mean?
- Should Kingery have been called up already?
- How encouraging have Aaron Nola’s last few starts been?
- Baseball Prospectus’ Mid-season top 50 prospects have been announced. Which Phillies did, and just as importantly, did NOT make the list?
- PLEASE VISIT THE FELSKE FILES TEEPUBLIC.COM STORE! Click right here for phenomenal T-shirts and other apparel, including these sweet tees!
- IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ADVERTISE WITH THE FELSKE FILES, please email John Stolnis at firstname.lastname@example.org. I have rates to match every budget!
- PLEASE CLICK HERE for the official Felske Files iTunes feed. Also please rate the show (5 stars, obviously!) and leave a review. Not only do we love to hear your feedback, but this also helps other Phillies fans find the show.
- In addition to my work here at The Good Phight, check out my work at numberFire.com.
- Follow this podcast on Twitter: @FelskeFiles.
- Follow the Felske Files on SoundCloud.
- Check out the brand new Felske Files Facebook page, and please LIKE the page!!!
- Rate The Felske Files on Stitcher.
- Follow the Felske Files on Instagram!