If you were hoping that Phillies general manager Matt Klentak was going to be a stealth buyer or do something ultra-creative at the MLB Trade Deadline this year, what the team did over the last week probably left you disappointed.
But if you were a realist and simply wanted the Phils to move some of the veteran dead weight from the team, then you were likely satisfied by what transpired.
The Phils moved four players this week: Pat Neshek, Howie Kendrick, Jeremy Helickson and Joaquin Benoit, for a collection of prospects, most of whom are a few years away from the Majors, as well as a slew of international money the team can spend on teenagers both great and small over the next year.
Hosts John Stolnis and Justin Klugh talked about the job Klentak did and gave the Phillies GM a grade for his efforts, while noting some big conversations remain.
What do the Phillies do about first base for the rest of the season? Should Freddy Galvis be the team’s long-term solution at shortstop, or is J.P. Crawford still the guy? And what about second base? Scott Kingery looks like a potential star, but Ceasr Hernandez is really good too.
There will perhaps be no team as interesting this winter as the Phillies. They have a bunch of young, movable pieces to sell and have the pocketbook to spend big on mega contracts that other teams are looking to shed, or to sign free agents for a bunch of cash.
- PLEASE VISIT THE FELSKE FILES TEEPUBLIC.COM STORE! Click right here for phenomenal T-shirts and other apparel!
- ADVERTISE WITH THE FELSKE FILES! Email John Stolnis at firstname.lastname@example.org for rates. I have rates to match every budget!
- PLEASE CLICK HERE for the official Felske Files iTunes feed. Also please rate the show (5 stars, obviously!) and leave a review. Not only do we love to hear your feedback, but this also helps other Phillies fans find the show.
- In addition to my work here at The Good Phight, check out my work at numberFire.com.
- Follow this podcast on Twitter: @FelskeFiles.
- Follow the Felske Files on SoundCloud.
- Check out the brand new Felske Files Facebook page, and please LIKE the page!!!
- Rate The Felske Files on Stitcher.
- Follow the Felske Files on Instagram!