Did Giancarlo Stanton just hit another five home runs? If he had, would it surprise anyone?
Baseball’s home run leader is on a tater blitz. He just won’t stop hitting longballs, and he might not stop until he hits 60. And yet, with a contract that still owes him just under $300 million for the next 10 years starting next year, the Miami Marlins are said to at least be exploring the possibility of trading Stanton at some point over the next few months.
Of course, the team is in the process of being sold to a group with Derek Jeter attached to it, and it’s unclear if the Marlins want to trade Stanton and free up some money, or if they want to build around him. And while the Phillies have the farm system to make a deal palatable to Miami as well as the payroll flexibility to absorb any, if not, all of Stanton’s deal moving forward, there are a ton of obstacles in their way.
The most important of which, and the hardest to hurdle, is Stanton’s no-trade clause, and his desire to play for a contender. Jeff Passan recently wrote for Yahoo! that Stanton cleared waivers and that four teams have expressed an interest in him.
My guess is the Phillies are one of them. But if Stanton wants to play for a contender, the Phils aren’t likely to be a team he’d agree to be traded to. At least, not now. After 2018? Maybe.
But the Phillies are in mid-August with a 1.5 game “lead” on the Chicago White Sox for the worst record in baseball. They still have a lot of work to do, and the playoffs are still probably at least two years away at the earliest. It would take a lot of convincing to get Stanton to waive his no-trade to play in Philadelphia.
On Episode 143 of The Felske Files, Phillies reporter for ESPN 97.3 and owner of the website phillysportstalk.com, Frank Klose, joins the podcast to discuss Stanton, as well as a number of other issues...
Also discussed this week...
- The Phillies and Giants play a weekend series in San Francisco as those two teams battle it out for the worst record in the National League.
- Dave Cameron of Fangraphs has some brutally terrible takes on Aaron Nola.
- What are the Phillies going to do about Maikel Franco and third base long-term?
- Can Nick Williams continue to hit this well?
- What does the Phillies double play combination look like next year?
- The American League wild card race is a crazy jumble... can Mike Trout and the Angels finally get back to the postseason.
- Baseball needs Mike Trout in the playoffs. They have to rig this somehow.
- #TrustTheProspects segment, with updates on Carlos Tocci, Adam Haseley, Scott Kingery and more!
- ADVERTISE WITH THE FELSKE FILES! Email John Stolnis at email@example.com for rates. I have rates to match every budget!
- PLEASE VISIT THE FELSKE FILES TEEPUBLIC.COM STORE, the BEST collection of Phillies T-shirts anywhere on the interworld! Click right here for phenomenal T-shirts and other apparel!
- PLEASE CLICK HERE for the official Felske Files iTunes feed. Also please rate the show (5 stars, obviously!) and leave a review. Not only do we love to hear your feedback, but this also helps other Phillies fans find the show.
- In addition to my work here at The Good Phight, check out my work at numberFire.com.
- Follow this podcast on Twitter: @FelskeFiles.
- Follow the Felske Files on SoundCloud.
- Check out the brand new Felske Files Facebook page, and please LIKE the page!!!
- Rate The Felske Files on Stitcher.
- Follow the Felske Files on Instagram!