We’ve talked a lot and written a lot about Rhys Hoskins over the last fortnight. But seeing as how his kill-crazy rampage on National League pitching doesn’t seem like it’s ever going to end, and since watching him do it is so fun, who wants to stop?
Rhys Hoskins is making history, folks. To put it bluntly, no one in the history of baseball has ever done what Rhys is doing right now. It’s as simple as that.
Here are some of the ridiculous Rhys Hoskins numbers that he has put up in just over two weeks of playing Major League Baseball for the first time in his life.
- He has 11 HRs in his last 14 games
- Giancarlo Stanton's best 14-game stretch this season was also 11 HRs
- Through 76 PAs overall in 2017, he’s batting .297/.408/.828 with a 208 wRC+, 11 HRs, 24 RBIs, 16 runs
- He has 11 walks and 13 strikeouts
- Coming into Sunday, he had swung and missed at 20 pitches and hit 10 HRs
- He has hit a home run on the last 8 days in which the Phillies have played a game (he hit a homer in one of the two games of a recent doubleheader, but not the other)
- He has a BABIP of .200, which is 99 points (.299) lower than league average
- No Major Leaguer has ever hit 11 homers in their first 18 games
- In fact, no Major Leaguer has ever hit 11 HRs in fewer than 23 games
- Hitting .382 with 8 HRs, 19 RBIs and a 1.579 OPS during current 9-game hitting streak.
- Hoskins has more dingers in 18 games than Aaron Judge has in any full month this season
- Hoskins has broken Ryan Howard's rookie record for HRs in a month (10 in Sept. 2005)
- He's the 5th player in franchise history to homer in five straight games (Utley, Abreu, Schmidt, Dick Allen) - ties a franchise record
- Since August 14, Hoskins has 10 homers. The Washington Nationals have 7 and the San Francisco Giants have 6.
- In at bats in which he gets down in the count 0-2, Hoskins has a 1.157 OPS in 18 PAs (2nd-best in MLB among players with at least 50 ABs this season).
- He has 3 HRs after being down 0-2. The MLB leaders have 6.
- Rhys Hoskins has played 18 games and ranks 5th on the Phillies in fWAR (1.2).
- Oh, and he STARTED A TRIPLE PLAY IN LEFT FIELD on Sunday!
On Episode 145 of The Felske Files, John Stolnis and Justin Klugh talk more about the incredible Rhys Hoskins and the history he’s making.
Also on this week’s podcast...
- The starting rotation is a mess right now
- What are the Phillies going to do to fix it in 2018?
- The internal options have not stepped up to the plate.
- Zach Eflin, Jake Thompson, Nick Pivetta, Ben Lively, Mark Leiter Jr., can any of these guys be counted on for next season?
- Should the Phillies pursue a starter in free agency? If so, do they go after a big fish, like Yu Darvish?
- Lance Lynn and/or Alex Cobb are two of the mid-range guys that would be excellent additions to the rotation.
- The Phils could take a flyer on a young, fixer-upper like Chris Tillman.
- Would the Phillies consider moving some of their young position player to trade for Chris Archer, Gerrit Cole or Michael Fulmer?
- ADVERTISE WITH THE FELSKE FILES! Email John Stolnis at firstname.lastname@example.org for rates. I have rates to match every budget!
- PLEASE VISIT THE FELSKE FILES TEEPUBLIC.COM STORE, the BEST collection of Phillies T-shirts anywhere on the interworld! Click right here for phenomenal T-shirts and other apparel!
- PLEASE CLICK HERE for the official Felske Files iTunes feed. Also please rate the show (5 stars, obviously!) and leave a review. Not only do we love to hear your feedback, but this also helps other Phillies fans find the show.
- In addition to my work here at The Good Phight, check out my work at numberFire.com.
- Follow this podcast on Twitter: @FelskeFiles.
- Follow the Felske Files on SoundCloud.
- Check out the brand new Felske Files Facebook page, and please LIKE the page!!!
- Rate The Felske Files on Stitcher.
- Follow the Felske Files on Instagram!