Well, the official hot stove has been lit. We’ve had a trade made, and not just any trade. A MAJOR trade with some implications for the Phillies as well. On to the links!
Here at The Good Phight:
- The Baseball Hall of Fame announced their ballot yesterday and Justin went deep into the sheer amount of ex-Phillies who are on it. How’s this for a hot take this early Tuesday morning: I’m not sure Roy Halladay is a first ballot Hall of Famer.
- John Stolnis and friends released a new podcast, discussing some of the articles I linked to yesterday. You should give it a listen and good review on the Apple podcast store. Do it. Now.
Other Phillies news:
- Corey Seidman looked at where the team’s 40 man roster stands prior to the deadline of setting the roster for the Rule V draft. I’m not good or smart enough to know all of the names that could be protected here, so...
- ...I will send you to our good friend Matt Winkelman, who previews some of the players the team should be looking to protect from the buzzards that are opposing teams. He’s really smart when it comes to baseball, specifically the Phillies minor league system.
- Seidman also looked at how the biggest trade made thus far can impact the Phillies and their plans for the offseason. If you’re thinking that Patrick Corbin will be more likely to end up in Philadelphia now that the Yankees have Paxton...um...that’s probably not happening.
- Speaking of that, the Yankees got one of the pitchers we kind of all expected them to get, trading for James Paxton yesterday. I’ve seen it mentioned that the Phillies would have had to give up Medina + something better than Thompson-Williams for Paxton. For me, that’s an easy “no”.
- As I mentioned before, the Hall of Fame ballot was released yesterday. Newcomers are pitchers Mariano Rivera (a lock), Halladay and Andy Pettitte, infielders Todd Helton, Michael Young, Miguel Tejada and Placido Polanco, and outfielder Juan Pierre. Is this the year Bonds and Clemens get in, something that is waaaaaaaaaaaay overdue? Maybe!
Until next time...