Well, the winter meetings are over. The Phillies made the biggest free agent splash, but had their thunder as the biggest move made at the meetings stolen today when Jerry DiPoto decided that hospital beds can’t contain the need to improve a team. The big boys didn’t sign yet, but they’ve been seen everywhere from Las Vegas to Cottman Avenue. On to the links!
Here at The Good Phight:
- Unless Matt Klentak has a surprise waiting for him when he unpacks his suitcase, the Phillies did not land either Manny Machado or Bryce Harper. Justin has a look at the final day of the meetings.
Other Phillies news:
- Here is the latest from Todd Zolecki on Bryce Harper and Manny Machado. Nothing really new here, but it is important to stay current.
- Baseball Prospectus ($) has their take on the McCutchen deal. I totally forgot about this the other day, so here you go.
- Everyone’s favorite hoagie eatin’ Phillies insider, Jim Salisbury, gives his wrap up on the meetings and where the team needs to go from here.
- The Yankees want Machado.....just not at $300 million. Hear that, Middleton?
- Scott Boras is doing his Boras thing and everyone is getting all hot and bothered about Harper.
- That trade I mentioned earlier? Yeah, it was a doozy. Personally, as far as rebuilding teams go, I really like what the Mariners are doing this offseason. They weren’t going to win the West, so might as well clear as much salary as possible from the future ledgers. That they have been able to do that while getting some decent prospects and change of scenery guys is all the more impressive. Let’s see if it pays off.
- Have you wondered why Craig Kimbrel hasn’t had much smoke surrounding him yet? Perhaps this will enlighten you. Yes, a nine figure salary is what he wants to go along with the six years. I believe the words you are looking for are “HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA”
Enjoy your weekend. Until next time...