Well yesterday was almost really exciting. Merely 24 hours after the Phillies acquired their shortstop for 2019, they came thiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to signing their #2 starter. Alas, it was not meant to be. On to the links!
Here at The Good Phight:
- Still more write ups about Jean Segura, this time from John Stolnis. John talks about how the Segura trade sets up how the rest of the offseason needs to go for the team.
- John also talked about the near signing of an ace-ish pitcher. More on that in a bit.
Other Phillies news:
- The national writers began giving their thoughts about the Segura deal. We’ll start with Ken Rosenthal ($) who kindly drops in and gives us a rumor about what might have been in a trade with Seattle. Sorry folks, this isn’t a case of prospect pearl clutching, but had Sixto Sanchez been a part of a Edwin Diaz/Jean Segura trade, I’d have been mighty angry.
- At Fangraphs, Jeff Sullivan gives his two cents about the deal, saying the market for Segura was limited and could turn out well for the Mariners if Crawford turns out well. Groundbreaking analysis there...
- I’m actually shocked by this, but Keith Law is a fan of the deal.
- The Bryce Harper sweepstakes are heating up. The Dodgers might have sent Magic Johnson to meet with him (or not), the White Sox sent Jim Thome, the Yankees really are involved and hopefully the Phillies just sent John Middleton with a smile and a checkbook.
- The Yankees don’t want to trade Gary Sanchez. I think I agree with this, though if they can get J.T. Realmuto, they should.
- Oh yeah, some guy signed with Washington, choosing them over the Phillies. Pssssh. Enjoy your deferred millions, punk.
Until next time...