So here it is, finally. The 2018 TheGoodPhight Over-Under-Never and Prediction Contest kickoff! 40 total events and questions, to be weighed after the completion of this season and judged next winter, or, approximately “when I feel like it.”
Enter your best guesses in a comment and may the best guesser(s) win! Note there are several categories of events, with descriptions below.
Over Under Calendar Events - for these enter “over” if the event will occur after the listed date, and “under” if before. You can enter “never” if it won’t occur at all this season (including playoffs). If an event occurs on the listed date, that counts as under. Unless specified, all totals are for this season.
- First walkoff loss (10 April)
- First walkoff win (15 April)
- First Major League stolen base by Scott Kingery (15 April)
- First Major League home run by Scott Kingery (20 April)
- Aaron Altherr’s 15th career outfield assist; needs two (10 May)
- Nick Williams’ first career intentional walk (30 May)
- First managerial ejection of Gabe Kepler (1 June)
- First Major League home run by J.P. Crawford (20 June)
- Tenth career stolen base by Roman Quinn; needs five (1 July)
- Jorge Alfaro’s tenth runner caught stealing; needs six (10 July)
- Carlos Santana’s first defensive inning at any position other than 1B or DH (20 July)
- Aaron Nola’s 500th career strikeout; needs 124 (10 August)
- Rhys Hoskins 50th career home run; needs 32 (1 September)
- Pat Neshek’s 2,000th career batter faced; needs 221 (10 September)
- Carlos Santana’s 200th career home run; needs 26 (25 September)
Over Under Numerical Events - for these enter “over” if the event total will be greater than shown; or “under” if less than. Unless specified, all totals are for this season.
- Lowest single road-game attendance (10,500)
- Highest single home-game attendance (44,500)
- Days spent at or above a .500 record, not necessarily consecutive (10)
- Odubel Herrera’s OPS (.780)
- Phillies’ pitchers with at least one save recorded (7)
- Phillies’ pitchers with at least one game started (12)
- Total runs scored by the Phillies (690)
- Total runs allowed by the Phillies (780)
- Most Phillies’ runs scored in a single game (17)
- Most runs allowed by the Phillies in a single game (17)
Numerical guesses - for these questions, guess the number and/or name of the described event.
- Total attendance at Citizen’s Bank Park
- Total WAR (B-R version) accumulated by all Phillies, pitchers and hitters
- Total number of pitches thrown by all Phillies hurlers
- Total number of pitches faced by all Phillies hitters
- Which will be greater: the number of strikes thrown by Phillies pitchers or strikes faced by Phillies’ hitters?
- Which will be greater: the number of extra inning games, or the number of innings in the longest (by innings) game?
- Will the Phillies be buyers, sellers, or mixed, at the trade deadline? (it will likely be obvious, but if not, I reserve the right to make an executive decision)
- Who will be the Phillies’ best total base-stealer, and how many?
- Who will be the Phillies’ leading home run hitter, and how many?
- Who will be the Phillies’ leading total strikeout pitcher, and how many?
- Which will be greater: the Phillies’ wins or the total number of wins (including non-conference and tournaments) of the 2018-19 Big Five but substituting Drexel for Villanova?*
- Who will win the National League MVP?
- Who will win the National League Cy Young?
- Who will win the National League Rookie of the Year?
- Who will win the National League Pennant?
That’s it! Happy guessing and good luck! Entries will be open until the day of the home opener, next Thursday.
*Note: I have nothing against Villanova, but they’re too good and they make this event not work. Unless you think the Phillies have a 100+ win season coming up—and if you do, go ahead and make a note that you want the Actual Big Five, and if you’re right, I’ll just declare you the winner.