Today is the non-tender day deadline. Teams across the league have to decide whether or not they will offer contracts to their arbitration eligible players for the 2020 season by 8 p.m. tonight. I already wrote a preview post about what the Phillies might do, but here, we’ll keep you up to date on any moves the Phillies make as well as any moves that are otherwise notable.
- Here it is, folks:
- Andrew Knapp, hello.
Source says #Phillies avoided arbitration with Andrew Knapp, agreeing on a one-year, $710,000 contract.— Todd Zolecki (@ToddZolecki) December 2, 2019
• Waiver claim!
The #Phillies have claimed RHP Trevor Kelley off waivers from the Red Sox.— Todd Zolecki (@ToddZolecki) December 2, 2019
Notable MLB news
- Jackie Bradley, Jr. is staying in Boston
The deadline to tender contracts to arbitration-eligible players is tonight. There’d been some question among MLB teams about whether the Red Sox might non-tender Jackie Bradley Jr. That’s not going to happen: Per source, the Red Sox are tendering a 2020 contract to Bradley.— Alex Speier (@alexspeier) December 2, 2019
- No surprises with the Tigers
The Tigers are expected to tender contracts to all five arbitration-eligible players: Michael Fulmer, Daniel Norris, Buck Farmer, JaCoby Jones and Matthew Boyd.— Chris McCosky (@cmccosky) December 2, 2019
- One more potential Cesar suitor is gone
• Moustakas to Cincinnati. Good for him. Dude deserves a payday
- Big roundup of the last hour or two:
Twins non-tender CJ Cron
Mariners non-tender Domingo Santana, Tim Beckham
Diamondbacks non-tender Stephen Souza Jr. (Shame, he just got healthy.)
Marlins claim Jesus Aguilar from Rays
Astros non-tender Aaron Sanchez (I love this guy.)
More big stuff is sure to be on the way — we’ve got an hour-and-a-half until deadline.
- REJOICE, HE PLAGUES THEM NO MORE!
The Cubs have cut ties with Addison Russell and will not offer him a contract for next season.— Patrick Mooney (@PJ_Mooney) December 2, 2019
- This could be a very interesting reclamation project to consider...
Hearing Tajuan Walker was non tendered by the Dbacks.— John Gambadoro (@Gambo987) December 2, 2019
- Phillies should be all over this one — surprising that the A’s couldn’t find a trade partner.
Reliever Blake Treinen has been non-tendered by the Oakland A's, a source tells ESPN.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) December 3, 2019
- Ex-Phillie, Luis Garcia, somehow remains with the Angels...
According to a source, Kevan Smith will be the only Angels player non-tendered.— Mark Feinsand (@Feinsand) December 3, 2019
- Another interesting option for the Phillies to possibly explore (though he’s not a very good person...)
Kevin Pillar non tendered by Giants— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) December 3, 2019
- Phillies miss out on a good one here, would have been an excellent value-buy were he to hit Free Agency.
- Lots of talent in the Brewers’ non-tender class, Jimmy Nelson and Travis Shaw to name two
SS Orlando Arcia signs a 1-year contract, avoiding arbitration. OF Ben Gamel, LHP Josh Hader, RHP Corey Knebel and LHP Brent Suter have been tendered contracts. INF Tyler Saladino, INF Travis Shaw, LHP Alex Claudio, RHP Junior Guerra and RHP Jimmy Nelson have been non-tendered. pic.twitter.com/Ff6nJR7y2p— Milwaukee Brewers (@Brewers) December 3, 2019