Manny Machado has agreed to terms with the San Diego Padres, who offered the free agent star a contract beyond the Phillies’ valuation.
Here at The Good Phight:
- John Stolnis speculated what the Machado signing means for the Phillies and their pursuit of Bryce Harper.
- From Allie Blum, the Phillies playoff hopes may depend on the performances of three returning veterans.
Other Phillies News:
- “Stupid money” is no longer the Phillies’ motto.
- Maikel Franco is breathing a little easier today.
- Jay Wright was as upset as the rest of us that the Phillies didn’t sign Machado.
- ESPN’s David Schoenfield thinks the Phillies were one of yesterday’s losers.
More on the Machado Signing:
- Machado + prospects equals a bright future in San Diego.
- The folks at Gaslamp Ball are understandably excited.
- The Padres’ big free agent splashes haven’t always worked out well for the team.
With Machado off the board, there is now intense pressure upon the Phillies to land Bryce Harper. The team can talk about “valuation” all they want, but if Harper ends up on another team, the fans are not going to be happy.