Thankfully, with yesterday’s Hall of Fame voting results, we can now put the season behind us. It’s always a season full of nonsense, grandstanding and pompous personalities telling us why we should think like them. I will never begrudge someone their belief into why someone should or should not be recognized among the game’s greatest players, but to constantly be beaten over the head with it for weeks at a time it just too much. Congratulations to Larry Walker and that other guy from the Bronx.
- The team added some depth yesterday, agreeing to minor league deals with Drew Storen (!) and Bud Norris. Cool! Someone has to throw spring innings!
- Have you wondered what Vince Velasquez thought about the sign stealing? Well now you can find out for yourself!
- J.T. Realmuto is ready to fight for his brethren. Matt Gelb ($) has the story about Realmuto’s approach to arbitration.
- Obviously the biggest news of the day is Larry Walker finally being recognized as one of the best hitters of his generation by receiving 76% of the vote and being voted into Cooperstown. Oh yeah....that Jeter guy too.
- Seriously, whenever we find out who didn’t vote Jeter in, not making him unanimous - buy that guy/gal a drink.
- In non-HOF news that actually directly affects the Phillies, the Braves signed Marcell Ozuna to a one year, $18 million contract. I’m not sure how much better this makes the team. He doesn’t play third base, their biggest weakness, and his money more than likely take them out of the running for Nolan Arenado or Kris Bryant.
- The Los Angeles City Council has weighed in on the sign stealing scnadal, passing a resolution that asks MLB to award World Series titles to the team for 2017 and 2018. Ok....
- Did you know Dustin Pedroia was still playing? Well probably not much longer!
Is it spring yet?