As you are more than likely aware, over the weekend Matt Klentak stepped down as general manager and was reassigned to somewhere else in the organization. It wasn’t exactly shocking that Klentak ended up outside of the general manager’s position, it was surprising that he is still inside of the organization. I guess since they have to pay him anyway, might as well get some work out of him. The search for the next GM gets underway while Ned Rice is tasked with the unenviable job of having to negotiate the team’s most important re-signing in ages.
On to the links!
- The team would tell you that they have already rebuilt, but as Meghan Montemurro asks: have they? Have they really?
- Matt Gelb talks more about what the team might be looking for in the new general manager ($).
- Kevin Cooney talks about Middleton’s approach to this next search and what he has to avoid.
- Here are some names Jim Salisbury threw out there as potential candidates.
- The division series gets underway today. Here are previews for each matchup. Predictions? Sure why not - Rays in 5, A’s in 4, Dodgers in 4, Braves in 4.
- Cardinals’ great Bob Gibson passed away this weekend. He was 84.
- This isn’t a happy story. Former pitcher Charlie Haeger was found dead after he allegedly killed his ex-girlfriend.
- Here are some possible trade destinations for Francisco Lindor, including one that might make you go “huh?”