Not sure if you noticed or not yesterday, but there was a bombshell dropped on the baseball world, one that some had hinted at for a while but still was shocking nonetheless.
That’s right: Yasmany Tomas signed with the Nationals.
On to the links:
- The Phillies may have a new candidate emerge as the frontrunner for the president of baseball operations job. You may have heard of him.
- Michael Hill will indeed get an interview in Philadelphia per Ken Rosenthal and Jayson Stark ($).
- A Phillies connection to the president-elect? I’ll take it!
- So yes, the big news of the day was Theo Epstein stepping away from the Cubs. His long-time lieutenant Jed Hoyer will take over.
- Here is the exact reasons why Epstein walked away, from Epstein himself ($).
- Cody Bellinger had to have surgery on the shoulder he famously separated during the World Series.
- The Mets are casting a wide net in the search for their GM, trying to pry away David Stearns from the Brewers and now apparently headed after David Forst of the Athletics.
- Arte Moreno is saying that the Angels’ payroll isn’t dropping in 2021. This could be interpreted in a few ways of course. Either he isn’t planning on retaining some guys who are due arbitration raises, or he is going to be spending in the free agent market. Either way, if ever a team was looking for an inefficiency to exploit this offseason, spending on players might be it.