Free agency began Monday and the hot stove is heating up like an off-brand electric flattop in a rolling brownout. But you might not have noticed because something ELSE is also happening and won’t stop happening and will continue to happen for the foreseeable future. Yep, you guessed it: Dodgers fans are still booing Rob Manfred, and if you climb to the top of the Ben Franklin Bridge you can hear the faint rumble clear across the country.
Please don’t climb to the top of the Ben Franklin Bridge.
Oh, and there’s news!
- The Phillies competed the Edgar Garcia trade with the Rays yesterday. Welcome to Philly, Rodolfo Sanchez!
- Here’s a scouting report on Sanchez that is publicly available. But he didn’t make Eric Longenhagen’s top 56 Rays prospects at Fangraphs. So, yeah, he’s a guy.
- Trevor Bauer declined his qualifying offer from the Reds. You know what that means? Arguing about signing Trevor Bauer! I say no thank you. YMMV.
- Jeff Passan answers lots of questions about the offseason market. He also reports that the owners are using the DH in the NL as a bargaining chip to get the players to agree to expanded playoffs. One of these things is not like the other...
- We’ve talked a bit about Justin Turner and his mid-game Covid diagnosis. But there’s a bigger Covid/MLB issue. I think we’ve forgotten that MLB promised to donate tests to essential workers, and, in case you missed it, it looks like they haven’t held up that promise.
- The skinny is that Marcus Stroman will decline his qualifying offer. If so, definitely worth kicking his tires.
That’s it for now. Stay with us for all your anxiety-reducing distraction needs.