Yesterday, MLB finally did the right thing and acknowledge that the Negro Leagues, just in time for the centennial celebration of their founding, are actually considered a major league and elevated them to that status. It’s a long, long overdue recognition, one that will suddenly allow many living participants to be able to say that they were a major leaguer, even if MLB denied them that chance previously. It also allows children, grandchildren and great-children to be able to call their fathers, grandfathers and great-grandfathers “major leaguers”, something they should be proud of.
It’s about time.
On to the links.
- Which prospect pitchers have the best chance at making the roster out of spring training for the Phillies?
- Scott Boras? Yup, he spoke and it was entertaining as usual. He still believes that despite the proclamations by ownership, the Phillies still want to win as demonstrated by their hiring of Dave Dombrowski.
- If the team decided to pursue Jackie Bradley, Jr. (something rumored by his agent), what kind of upgrade does he provide to the team, if any?
- Is the season going to start on time? Depends on who you ask. If it’s the owners, that answer is a resounding “no”.
- Another day, another catcher off the board. This time, it’s Mike Zunino re-upping with Tampa Bay for $3 million.
- The Giants add an arm to their pitching staff, getting Anthony DeSclafani to come to the Bay Area for around $6 million.
- Dusty Baker isn’t too sure if he’s going to manage past this upcoming season. It would be a shame to not have Baker in the game if he does decide to ride off into the sunset.