It’s never fun when the teams you’re competing against for the division crown improve themselves. It’s even less fun as the team you root for, in this case the Phillies, makes moves that don’t really make too much sense.
As the Nationals move to add to their lineup, the Phillies rolled the dice yet again on a reliever, hoping to come up with a winning combination. It seems like the early offseason indicators of poverty are coming to fruition, but it could also be that the because they haven’t done a whole lot of big moves, anything small that the Phillies do will be amplified, doubly so when the teams around them are making splashier moves. I’d still caution you that there is still lots of time for the Phillies to make those bigger moves, that until the offseason is fully over, they still can stack up with the other teams in their division.
It’s just getting harder and harder on them.
On to the links.
- At shortstop, the Phillies do still have a lot of options to choose from.
- It’s never too early for a mock draft! Here, the Phillies are taking yet another prep arm.
- Did the Phillies get Sam Coonrod for baseball reasons or for other reasons? According to the Giants, it was strictly baseball.
- Phillies PA announcer Dan Baker is still battling to make sure he is in the booth once opening day arrives.
- Angels jilted employee starts naming names. Wonder if he did it at Hop Sing’s.
- Kyle Schwarber signed with the Nationals on a deal that makes him their new “left fielder”. At first blush, this deal doesn’t really move the needle much. Should the NL go with the DH in 2021, then ok, it makes a little more sense.
- Tomoyuki Sugano did not sign with anyone in MLB, so he took the big contract handed to him in Japan. Smart guy.
- The Padres may be looking to make a capper on their awesome offseason by locking in their star player for the forseeable future.
- DJ LeMahieu ain’t happy with the Yankees and their foot dragging this offseason, so he’s looking elsewhere.