The right handed reliever market was always going to be deep. There was no reason to jump in feet first and snatch someone up right away because bargains were going to present themselves. Outside of the Liam Hendriks deal, most of the other names to sign - Trevor May, Archie Bradley - have fallen right about where we could have expected them to sign. Kirby Yates is another one.
This brings us to the Phillies. There is the possibility that they are done adding to their bullpen with guaranteed deals, but there could also be something lurking around the corner for Dave Dombrowski and Sam Fuld. They may have their eye on someone still but are waiting out the market. It’s the smart play and the most likely way the team continues to add to their beleaguered bullpen.
On to the links.
- An excellent piece from Meghan Montemurro ($) about the Phillies, Sam Coonrod and social justice.
- The team signed two local guys to minor league deals by going to an impressive workout.
- They also attended a workout in Miami for a name you’ve heard connected with them this winter and one you haven’t.
- As stated above, Yates has signed a one year deal to head to Toronto. Not the high priced addition they were hoping for, but a welcome one nonetheless.
- The Mets were the talk of the game yesterday for all the wrong reasons with their now former general manager fired for a series of harassing texts to a female reporter. The absolute correct move, but also one that shows how much baseball still needs to change in the way they treat female professionals ($).
- Hall of Famer Don Sutton passed away yesterday. He was 75.
- Anthony Santander has gotten the looks from around the league.