The player’s union decided to reject the universal designated hitter and playoff expansion for 2021, two decisions that could have a direct effect on the Phillies. It takes away another bat from their lineup and it also takes away a playoff spot or two that they are gunning for.
While most people are already handing the Padres one of the wild card spots (quite possibly rightly so), it’ll make the race for that last spot all the more interesting. Luckily for the Phillies, the NL Central as a whole looks like they aren’t even trying, three-fifths of the West looks DOA and the rest of the competition resides from within their own division. It’ll make that division play all the more important.
On to the links.
- It’s possible that this is the week where the Phillies begin to make some free agent noise.
- Through it all, the Phillies are still the best fit for J.T. Realmuto.
- The Rockies’ approach to Trevor Story is truly baffling. They don’t want to keep him, but they won’t trade him either.
- The Cactus League has asked MLB to delay the start of spring training due to COVID-19 spikes in some counties that house teams.
- The MLBPA rejected both the designated hitter for the NL as well as the expanded playoff format for 2021.
- The Yankees and Red Sox pull of the rare trade when New York decided not to pay Adam Ottavino and traded him up to Boston.
- The Yankees are getting re-interested in Brett Gardner (now that they can possibly “afford” him).
- The other team in New York is circling around Jackie Bradley, Jr.