The Phillies defeated the Tigers 2-0 on Wednesday afternoon, and the only thing that looked better than the green uniforms was Zack Wheeler who struck out four in five scoreless innings. Hector Neris and Jose Alvarado also looked good in relief, each turning in a scoreless inning with multiple strikeouts.
Check out the highlights here.
And now for the links!
- Zach Eflin won’t make his scheduled start on Friday due to back discomfort. Publicly, the Phillies aren’t too concerned, but it’s never good when a key member of the rotation starts dealing with an injury.
- Armed with an improved cutter, Connor Brogdon knows he belongs in the big leagues.
- Brogdon and three others are competing for the closer job this year. Corey Seidman looks at how they stack up.
- Jeff Passan of ESPN+ ($) makes a whole bunch of predictions for the 2021 season. Considering he is predicting a breakout year from former Phillie Nick Pivetta, you can feel free to take these predictions with a grain of salt.
- Tom Verducci says that baseball’s pace of play problem is going to relegate the sport to a niche interest if dramatic action isn’t taken soon.
- The Mets are expecting big things from free agent signee Taijuan Walker.