The last Sunday before spring training ends is usually a day where we start to see final rosters being composed. Managers have the information they need in order to make decisions and they start calling players into their offices in order to give them the news. With the Phillies, yesterday brought some unexpected news yesterday with the demotions of Scott Kingery and Jojo Romero. Plenty when into the decisions of course, but they still raised more than a few eyebrows.
On to the links.
- Some decisions will need to be made with the 40-man roster when it comes to adding now three NRIs in Matt Joyce, Brandon Kintzler and Ronald Torreyes.
- As mentioned earlier, Kingery will begin the season in the minor leagues.
- You may have missed this one from earlier, but former #1 pick Mark Appel is going to try and comeback with the Phillies, who still retain his rights since Appel never actually retired.
- The Twins agreed to an extension with Randy Dobnak yesterday.
- Big news out of Miami as Jazz Chisholm is expected to begin the season as their second baseman. One of their better prospects, Chisholm has had a nice spring for the Marlins.
- Luke Voit is going on the IL with knee surgery, meaning former Phillie Jay Bruce secures a spot on the Yankees’ roster for at least a month.
- The Orioles swung a trade this weekend, adding Adam Plutko as some rotation depth from the Indians for cash considerations.