A truly dispiriting loss, a game that should have been comfortably in hand, fell apart for the Phillies. It exposed their lack of depth in the pitching staff, something that was a concern to start the season. It exposed their inability to get big hits still, as they let a golden opportunity go by in the early innings to jump out to a big lead. It was just a really bad loss by the team. They’ll have a quick turnaround today, which is good because it’ll mean they have to get over soon. But there are real problems with this team that need fixing.
On to the links.
- The time for bringing Odubel Herrera back to the major leagues might be drawing nearer and nearer.
- Jean Segura, one of the hotter hitters in the team’s lineup, had to exit the game early last night with a right quad strain. He’ll be re-evaluated today.
- Joe Girardi sat three of his regulars in an effort to spark some offense. It seemed to work when Brad Miller launched a three-run home run.
- There have been a lot of “disjointed roles” that have led to the start the Phillies have gotten off to ($).
- Some more power rankings, where we can start to take notice of the hot starts by the Royals and Mariners.
- The first round of CBA talks between baseball and the player’s union occurred, two days ago.
- There haven’t been any extension talks between the Braves and Freddie Freeman, but that is going to happen. No sense wishing it won’t.
- The reaction in MLB to the George Floyd case verdict was pretty unanimous.
- Lots of injuries around the game as Juan Soto and Mike Moustakas went on the IL, while Adrian Morejon will undergo Tommy John surgery.