After an off day yesterday, the Phillies look to get to their winning ways today by heading to Atlanta and taking on the Braves. Another quirk in the schedule where they play their division rivals so soon after doing it the first, it gives the Phillies another chance to take some crucial division games right away. It’ll also provide their first road test of the season, something that should go a long way to see what kind of team they really are.
Have a great weekend.
On to the links.
- Hard to believe, but Veterans Stadium opened up 50 years ago this year. I really do miss that place a lot.
- Joe Girardi has been handling the bullpen with aplomb thus far in the early season, deploying his best when a win is needed.
- Here is an interesting way to approach the season: even with the early victories, don’t let it spoil it for you if (when?) the Phillies come back to earth a bit.
- Here are some observations of the team after its 5-1 start.
- The rankings you probably saw yesterday online somewhere can be read here.
- Trevor Bauer had multiple balls taken from his start for inspection ($), and he is not happy about that at all. Think we dodged a bullet there, folks.
- Don’t like MLB’s draconian blackout restrictions? Neither does Noah Syndergaard.
- James Paxton has been recommended to have Tommy John surgery after departing a start early this week.
- Trevor Rosenthal had surgery the other day that’ll keep him out for a few months. Continuing the bad injury news for Oakland, A.J. Puk went back onto the IL.