Several things were concerning this past weekend, namely the starting pitching. Getting back to back poor performances from Aaron Nola and Zach Eflin had to hurt the plans for the pitching staff. They only got 2 2⁄3 innings from Nola on Saturday and the innings they got from Eflin on Sunday were terrible. With a long stretch of consecutive games looming for the team before the All-Star game that will likely determine their plans for the trade deadline, it’s imperative they get both pitchers right. Nola especially needs to be put on the straight and narrow as so much is depending on his being a co-ace with Zack Wheeler.
On to the links.
- Not only are Nola’s struggles concerning, but having Eflin and Spencer Howard do so poorly doesn’t look good.
- Here are some more observations about the Phillies from this weekend’s series in San Francisco.
- In case you missed it, there were some roster shufflings this weekend thanks to some injuries.
- There was a gentleman’s agreement between teams to not have umpires check for foreign substances, but some teams ain’t buying that .
- This is kind of a big deal: a former reporter reveals that she was raped by a player in 2002.
- Wander is coming...