Always a good day after a win. Even though Jose Alvarado tried his best to blow the save for the team, they still came away with the victory thanks in part to <gasp> insurance runs!
It seems like it is borderline illegal for the Phillies to add on extra runs that might be needed in case of bullpen malfunctions, but yes, the Phillies actually scored some insurance runs last night. Being able to do that consistently will go a long way toward this team getting back to respectability.
On to the links.
- Joe Girardi is....ahem...sticking to his story about Max Scherzer using foreign substances on baseballs.
- Spencer Howard understands there is a bigger picture to all of this and doesn’t seem fazed by his demotion to the minor leagues.
- Looks like Didi Gregorius will be back next week.
- Alec Bohm talks about his struggles this year.
- Hector Santiago has been suspended for 10 games for his ejection on Sunday for using foreign substances. He’ll appeal.
- The family of Tyler Skaggs has filed suit against the Los Angeles Angels in connection with Skaggs’s death last year.
- Trevor Bauer is being investigated for sexual assault.
- The Marlins are looking to extend Starling Marte, possibly seeing what it’ll take prior to deciding whether or not to trade him this deadline.