We have a trade here that does mean something. So far, we’ve only had the little guys, the “Player X for cash”, but this one does mean something. Joc Pederson was sent to the Braves for a prospect, signaling the beginning of the selloff for the Cubs. This means the Cubs are selling, of course, but it also means the Braves are buying. Seeing that the Mets haven’t run away with anything means they can get a cheaper bat and see if they can make some noise. If they can’t, selling Pederson seems reasonable as left-handed bats are always in demand. For now, it puts a smidge more pressure on Dave Dombrowski and Sam Fuld to get something moving as their compatriots are not standing still.
On to the links.
- As many have said, the Phillies are hot and have the benefit of an easy schedule coming up soon.
- Andrew McCutchen has been very good lately. Can he continue to produce despite his age? This and other questions as the Phillies begin the second half.
- Several players need to step up in the Phillies want to make the playoffs.
- Keith Law ($) reviews the Phillies’ draft as well as other teams in the NL East.
- The Yankees and Red Sox had to postpone their game yesterday due to a Covid outbreak on the New York side.
- There will be a game called entirely by female announcers. This is a big deal and should be an enjoyable broadcast.
- The White Sox, hit by the injury bug hard this year, have made a depth move for a catcher with Yasmani Grandal going down.
- Chris Sale has begun a rehab assignment for the Red Sox. Getting a healthy Sale could be the biggest move of any contender this trade season.