It started with a simple tweet pointing out a part of a story.
Of course, natural discourse would lead this to whether or not Joe Girardi should receive any consideration for NL Manager of the Year this year. As happy as we all are when it comes to the recent winning ways of the team, the credit should be put on the players, not on the manager. In fact, Girardi isn’t really in the discussion for a top five vote. Were it up to me, my top five would be:
- Gabe Kapler
- Craig Counsell
- Jayce Tingler
- Dave Roberts
- David Bell
As much as we may not want to admit it, Kapler has done an outstanding job this year so far in San Francisco. Prior to the season, no one - no one - had the Giants anywhere near the conversation for the playoffs. Not only are they in the conversation, you can make a case that the Giants are the favorite to be in the World Series.
There is still a long way to go, both in San Francisco and abroad, but as of now, let’s pump any brakes on Girardi being in that conversation. He’s been better, but he can thank his stars for playing like stars for that.
On to the links.
- Here are five ways that the Phillies can keep things rolling and win the NL East.
- As we wrote here last week, it is totally possible that the Phillies could win the division and take two major awards this offseason.
- Bryce Harper is making a strong case to be the frontrunner for the NL MVP.
- MLB and Barstool Sports are in “serious” negotiations for the latter to broadcast the former’s games next season.
- Seems that in Colorado, the fan accused of hurling racial slurs was not saying the word that people thought he was saying.
- Fernando Tatis, Jr.: centerfielder? Looks like it’s becoming a real possibility.