Ranger Suarez is starting tonight and the plan, at least according the broadcast crew, was for him to get into the 90-100 pitch range. Should he be able to do that and give the team effective innings, it would be a major boost to the rotation.
At this point in the season, they really can’t count on Aaron Nola. He hasn’t been consistent and we can’t really expect him to magically find it in August. Zack Wheeler has been outstanding, the clear ace of the staff right now. Kyle Gibson has been a dependable #3 starter, going a little bit above expectations so far. We aren’t sure when Zach Eflin will be back, or if he’ll even be effective himself when he returns, so getting Suarez to be able to give 5-6 solid innings every fifth day could work wonders.
On to the links.
- The team needed an offensive spark, so they moved Odubel Herrera to the leadoff spot (who tripled as I wrote this).
- Taking a look at the Cy Young race in the National League and how Zack Wheeler would stack up.
- The “reset” the team planned for Alec Bohm has turned into a bit of “referendum” on how they feel about him ($).
- There are some injury reinforcements coming. Sooner rather than later hopefully.
leakedmade their proposal on the economic structure of the CBA talks and while it’s not the entire plan, it’s also probably a nonstarter for the MLBPA.
- Some interesting ideas on how to improve the game if people outside of the game were given a chance.
- Thankfully, Chris Bassitt is out of the hospital and doing well.
- If MLB had an expansion draft, what would that look like, starting with the teams?