Oof. I think this line from Lauren’s recap last night says it all: “They’ve scored just three runs in their last 18 innings, and tonight were 1-for-5 with runners in scoring position.”
What else is there to say?
Bryce Harper was walked three times because no one else in the Phillies lineup is a threat right now. Kyle Gibson continues to prove that he’s just a number 4/5 type pitcher. J.T. Realmuto continues to prove that being a good hitter for a catcher isn’t the same thing as being a good hitter.
That’s all I’ve got to say. Here are your links.
Here at The Good Phight:
- Bryce Harper might just be in the midst of the greatest offensive season in Citizen’s Bank Park history. Here are my thoughts on the matter.
- John Stolnis has a fascinating piece coming this afternoon about the new extra innings rule. You can find it today at noon.
- After that, you can check back again at 2:00pm to read the Rockies series preview from the one and only Smarty Jones.
- Remember Corey Dickerson? On this day two years ago, Paul Boyé wrote about his potential future with the Phillies. He went on to hit .306/.349/.444 (.803 OPS) against the Phillies in 2020 as a member of the Marlins.
- On this day five years ago, Rhys Hoskins won the Paul Owens Award as one of the top players in the Phillies minor league system. Dylan Cozens and Ben Lively were winners as well. One out of three ain’t bad, I guess?
- Lastly, how about some 2011 Phillies stat notes from Schmenkman? That was a good year.
- Zach Eflin – who was once just supposed to miss a few starts – is now going to be out for 6 to 8 months. Looks like the Phillies 2022 rotation isn’t so “set” after all.
- Destiny Lugardo of Phillies Nation asks who would start a potential wild card game if Zack Wheeler pitches game 162 of the regular season. It’s a question I’ve thought about a lot recently. My answer is still Nola.
- Eric Longenhagen of FanGraphs wrote extensively about the Phillies in the latest edition of his daily prospect notes. Find out which minor leaguers and rehabbing major leaguers Longenhagen expects to help the Phillies down the stretch.
- Ben Clemons of FanGraphs wrote about the Braves and the recent extensions they’ve doled out.
- Emma Baccellieri of Sports Illustrated wrote about Marvin Miller being inducted into the Hall of Fame.
- An in-depth look at how Larry Walker made it to the Hall of Fame (a very different path than Marvin Miller).
- And finally, a closer look at Braves third baseman Austin Riley, who is having a phenomenal breakout season. (But he still isn’t an MVP candidate!)