Now that the meetings are over, it’s fair to wonder where the Phillies go next. Matt Gelb spoke on his and Paul Boye’s podcast about the possibility they grab some relievers to throw against a wall to see what sticks, but I feel like there is more to come.
They haven’t traded much this offseason, something that feels strange when it comes to Dave Dombrowski. He likes to make deals, but they haven’t made any. This is probably a result of not having a lot to deal from if they aren’t including the kid pitchers, but there has to be someone the team is looking to grab from another team. The Braves had to give up their best remaining hitting prospect to get a reliever from Detroit, so that might give some guidance as to what the Phillies would have to do. We’ll just have to wait and see.
On to the links.
- Why did Matt Strahm choose to come to Philadelphia? He wants to win a ring, plain and simple.
- Chris Bassitt is in Philadelphia.....but probably not to meet with the Phillies.
- The Blue Jays have added their left handed hitter in the form of Kevin Kiermaier, grabbing him for one year.
- Steve Cohen has decided that the luxury tax thresholds are merely a suggestion, blowing past them to add Kodai Senga for five years.
- Jim Bowden has his grades for teams after the Winter Meetings, where he gives the Phillies an A+.