While it wasn’t quite the same as Merry Cliffmas, the midnight signing of Nick Castellanos has given a jolt to this fanbase. You don’t see often a collective group of people suddenly see their opinion of a team grow as much as when we all checked our phones Saturday morning, but now that he is in the fold, along with Kyle Schwarber, it has heightened expectations quite a bit.
It’s probably arguable who has the hottest managerial seat in the game, but with the team exceeding the luxury tax for the first time, Joe Girardi’s fanny probably just got a little bit warmer. The ownership group wasn’t going to be break that self-imposed ceiling unless they thought the team had a shot at the postseason, so now the pressure will be on Girardi to help guide the team toward that final destination. It should be interesting.
On to the links.
- Even though he is a little bit behind schedule, Zack Wheeler fully intends to be ready when the bell rings.
- Kyle Gibson is looking to harness a new pitch this spring and was encouraged by what he saw in his outing yesterday.
- Johan Rojas will always be known for his glove, but it’s his bat that could make him the final answer to the team’s center field question ($).
- The inside story, and a fascinating one at that, on how Dave Dombrowski persuaded the owners to get Castellanos ($).
- In yet another attempt to speed up the game, some teams are looking at an audio system to help get signals to pitchers.
- Trevor Story went to the Red Sox, Carlos Correa went to Minnesota, Jorge Soler to the Marlins. What a weekend for transactions!