Frank Thomas passed away yesterday. Not “The Big Hurt” Thomas, but the one that was a feared power hitter in the late 50’s/early 60’s. While Thomas was a popular guy outside of Philadelphia, it was in this city where his involvement in a fight with Dick Allen that seemingly set the city against Allen. While both men were at fault for the fight, the way the people in the city turned on Allen eventually drove him away from the team and meant the team would lose what could have been their best player since the Schmidt years of the late 1970’s.
On to the links.
- It’s apparently Andrew Painter day. He was honored by his season last year, but is there more for him in 2023?
- Rhys Hoskins may have been the big arbitration news, but there was quite a bit more from the Phillies.
- Who is the favorite right now in the NL East? The Athletic asked some scouts around the league.
- The Royals have added to their rotation, but a reunion with Zack Greinke isn’t out of the question.
- Jorge Alfaro finally has a new home, but it’s only a minor league deal.