On to the links.
- Bryce Harper is signed until he is 38 years old. That apparently isn’t long enough (or likely trying to get some more money on a VERY team-friendly contract) and is seeking an extension this offseason.
- The infamous Rule 5 Draft was yesterday. The Phillies have famously taken the likes of Tyler Goeddel, Odubel Herrera, Ender Inciarte, Shane Victorino, and Dave Hollins to name a few. With the roster crunch, they didn’t select anyone at the MLB level, but did select five in the minor league portion (while also losing four of their own).
- With letting Craig Kimbrel go to the Orioles, the Phillies most urgent need is likely adding another reliever and additional bench depth as Matt Gelb breaks down.
- Joc Pederson trolls the entire city of Philadelphia into thinking a signing with the Phillies was imminent. Admittedly, it was very funny.
- Juan Soto appears to be on the move from the Padres and the Yankees happen to be the winner of that sweepstakes. They are giving up a lot, but will this include an extension? We shall see...
- Speaking of the Yankees, with waning interest in Ohtani, they have turned their attention to Japanese star and free agent, Yoshinobu Yamamoto. The bidding is already said to be intense as the superstar pitcher will eclipse over 300 million. Will it come down to the two New York teams in the bidding war?
- It seems the entire off-season rides on where Shohei Ohtani lands to get the rest of free agency sorted out. According to some, that should happen before the weekend is out. Who do we think it will be? Dodgers? Giants? Cubs? Blue Jays? MYSTERY TEAM???