The Phillies lost again on Tuesday. Dylan Covey pitched well enough, but an early deficit, offensive struggles against a not-so-good pitcher, and a maddening ability to give back runs as soon as they score them resulted in a second straight loss to the Diamondbacks.
Elsewhere in baseball, animals are making headlines. Maybe the Phillies need to find some sort of good luck animal mascot to turn their season around.
- We think Trea Turner sucks right now. Trea Turner thinks he sucks right now. I think the best solution would be for him to stop sucking.
- Taking on “bulk boy” duties, Dylan Covey had a solid debut with the Phillies on Tuesday. It wasn’t enough to win the game but gives the team some hope that every fifth game won’t be an automatic loss.
- Brandon Marsh has been in a slump and now (possibly not coincidentally) he’s dealing with a shoulder injury.
Phillies scratched Brandon Marsh from tonight's lineup with right shoulder inflammation. He is day-to-day.— Corey Seidman (@CSeidmanNBCS) May 23, 2023
Dalton Guthrie starts in CF.
- Noted bird murderer Will Brennan paid tribute to his victim with an avian-based home run celebration.
- Brennan’s actions haven’t prevented other members of the animal kingdom from making their presence known at baseball games.